WANT to LANDSCAPE your property, but UNSURE how to do it? Whether it's your FIRST HOME, or your DREAM HOME, here's 4 STEPS you can take to ensure that your NEW LANDSCAPE exceeds your needs and meets your DREAMS
1. Define Your Landscape needs
2. Consider Your Budget
3. Design Your Dream, and
4. Select A Landscape Contractor
1. DEFINE YOUR LANDSCAPE NEEDS
Why are you landscaping?
To increase your property value? To enhance your enjoyment of your property? To save energy or water? To provide a safe environment for your children or pets? The first step toward a professional landscape is to clearly identify what purpose the landscape must serve.
- What outdoor activities will your landscape support? Nurturing a personal green thumb in a rose garden? Entertaining boisterous children?
- Do you have a desired style or theme? Are you seeking an English garden or a new age respite? Does your dream landscape match the architectural style of nearby buildings?
- What features do you desire? Play areas, water efficiency, an outdoor kitchen, ponds and waterfalls?
- What materials are best? Do you like the granite look, roaring water or subdued floral elegance?
2. CONSIDER YOUR BUDGET
Honestly consider the amount of money available to meet your needs. The cost of your project will varying, depending on:
- The overall size of the area to be landscaped,
- The features to be included,
- The state of the current terrain, and
- The choices you make regarding materials, details and level of craftsmanship
3. CONSIDER WHO WILL DESIGN YOUR LANDSCAPE
Your Choices Include:
- A Landscape Architect - A professional licensed by the state of California who can develop plans that can be put out to bid by landscape contractors.
- A Design/Build Landscape Contractor- A professional licensed by the state of California who can design, and then create, your landscape.
- Landscape Designers- Unlicensed individuals which provide ideas, conceptual plans and planting plans.
4. HIRE THE RIGHT PROFESSIONAL
You don't really purchase a landscape. You buy the services of a landscape contractor to install and construct the project you want. A successful relationship between you and your landscape contractor may last as long as it takes to build your project, or it may span years, as your tastes change and your landscape expands.